As a parent planning for college, you’re under a lot of pressure to help your student find the right college and figure out how to pay for it. There’s a lot to learn, but there’s also a lot at stake. Your next steps could make or break your child’s future.
Thankfully, it doesn’t have to be scary or confusing. I understand the challenges you’re facing, and I can help you take the right steps—right now—to put your child on the path to a bright future.
As a college planning specialist, I’ve helped hundreds of families devise a successful college plan, and I’m here to help you.
You Don’t Have to Go It Alone
You might be starting out and overwhelmed by the college process. Or maybe you’ve made a great start but want help with the next steps. No matter where you are in the college planning process, I can help.
I will guide you through the twists and turns of college planning and show you the path to college success.
I Will Help You …
- Send your children to the college of their dreams
- Avoid unnecessary student loans
- Make the best use of your college savings
- Maximize your financial aid and scholarships
- Pay for college without sacrificing your retirement
- Avoid costly mistakes
Two Options to Work With Me Directly
I offer two options for working with me directly and getting the best possible advice for you, your student and your family.
Level 1: Starter Plan (Professional Consultation)
Do you need help with some questions regarding planning and paying for college? Would you like to talk to a professional about your college plans without committing to a long-term consulting arrangement? If so, my Level 1 Starter Plan is the perfect option.
We’ll set up a one-time 90-minute meeting or two 45-minute meetings to discuss and map out your next college planning steps. We can spend the entire time going in-depth on one big question, or we can cover as many topics as the time allows. It’s entirely up to you.
How It Works
I’ll send you a questionnaire before the meeting, so you can tell me about your current financial situation, college goals, and any questions you have. This helps us make the most of your time and allows me to start our meeting by giving you answers rather than gathering information.
Possible topics include a 529 plan and whether it’s right for you; financial aid and loans; divorce and paying for college; scholarships; ACT and SAT test planning; choosing a college; campus visits; student-athletes; the GI Bill; or virtually anything you’d like to ask.
Once you’ve submitted your questionnaire and we’ve scheduled a consultation, we’ll talk over the phone or via Skype.
During our 90 minutes of consulting time, we’ll address your biggest college planning questions, map out a plan for you, and discuss specific steps you can take to help you pay for college.
I follow up with a written summary of my recommendations and suggested steps, so you know exactly what to do next.
Level 2: Full College Funding Plan
You’ll receive a customized college funding plan based on your family’s situation, which includes potential planning strategies in academics, financial aid, tax reduction and cash flow. You’ll also receive additional cost-saving tips.
Your plan will be customized to meet your specific college needs. Depending on your family’s needs and preferences, your specific plan may include some or all of the following areas:
- College Match Coaching – I’ll direct you to resources to find colleges that are a good fit for your student, and I’ll coach you through the process.
- Scholarship Coaching – You’ll receive tips and resources on how to significantly increase your chances of winning private scholarships and where to find them. Of course, your student will have to do all the hard work from there, but I’ll give you all the advice you need to get started.
- Early Decision / Action Coaching – I’ll help you determine if early decision/early action is appropriate for your student.
- School Visit / Revisit Coaching– I’ll help you devise a college visit plan that will help you find a good fit academically and financially.
- ACT/SAT Test Planning –I’ll provide ACT/SAT test prep resources and help you devise a testing plan for your student.
- Build Relationships with Schools –You’ll receive tips on how to build relationships with your top schools, which can increase your odds of being accepted or receiving scholarships.
- Recommend Summer Activities– I’ll provide you with recommendations of activities suitable to build a strong college resume.
- Athletic Recruiting– I’ll recommend resources to help your student athlete get recruited. I will also help you position your family to maximize athletic scholarships as well as merit- and need-based aid for your athlete.
- Financial Aid Planning –We’ll work together to determine what types of financial aid you’re eligible for and provide strategies to increase your financial aid package.
- Financial Aid Forms – I’ll identify the forms you need to complete, and help you estimate your income, taxes and the proper valuation of your assets. We’ll also calculate your Expected Family Contribution to help you estimate any need-based aid you may receive from colleges (if applicable).
- Appealing Aid Awards – I’ll coach you on appealing any merit- or need-based financial aid award, to increase the offer (if appropriate).
- College Savings and Investment Review –We’ll review your college savings and investments to determine if they’re appropriate for your situation (investment choices, tax benefits, financial aid impact, etc.).
- College Impact on Retirement –We’ll review your overall retirement situation. We’ll determine if you’re on track for retirement and help you understand what impact your college plans will have.
- Tax Planning –I’ll work with your tax professional to make sure you’re taking advantage of all the college tax benefits you’re eligible to receive.
- 529 Recommendations –You’ll receive recommendations on which 529 savings plans are appropriate for your circumstance.
- Cash Flow Planning –We’ll determine how much you can afford to spend on college as well as strategies to pay for college most efficiently.
- Student Loans – If you need to use loans to help pay for college, I’ll help you locate the best loans for your situation.
- Student Connection – We’ll have a discussion with your student on how to get the most out of his or her college experience.
- Implementation and Results – I’ll help you implement your college funding plans so you get the maximum benefits and results.
Skype and/or telephone meetings will be scheduled to gather data and deliver planning strategies, as well as update the plan as your college application process progresses. My fee includes all meetings necessary to reasonably design and implement your college funding plan. I request that you be available for at least three (3) meetings per year, with one meeting that may include your student.
Typical Meeting Schedule:
After Engagement for Service: 1-2 meetings to gather data to generate the initial college funding plan. At these meetings, we’ll lay out your possible strategies and choose the right ones for you.
Within 6 weeks: 1-2 meetings to execute immediate strategies that we can implement right away.
Summer after Junior Year: 1-2 meetings to determine and implement admission strategies, etc.
January – February Senior Year: 1 meeting to finalize financial aid applications.
Spring Senior Year: 1-2 meetings to compare financial offers for various schools and provide negotiation strategies based on the offers. The plan will be updated to reflect your student’s school choice.
Summer after Senior Year: 1 meeting to finalize various strategies and offers. Ongoing meetings and consultations are available after entry into college with an additional retainer or hourly rate.
Support and Questions
In order to facilitate the flow of information, we don’t charge for ongoing support and questions. There’s also no limit to the number of meetings. Some parents prefer to have shorter but more frequent meetings. Others prefer fewer but longer meetings. The choice is yours.
Our Commitment to You
I’m committed to providing high quality advice and service to clients. Our goal is to ensure you’re 100% satisfied with our work. If you’re not completely satisfied, please let us know so we can rectify any issues. If you’re still not satisfied, you may request a refund of fees paid.